Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Time is not on my side

So here I am knee deep into week three of new corporate job and it is 4:26 and I am counting down the minutes until I can clock out, go home and nurse my cold. When suddenly an email appears in my entitled "My time", and my next thought is SH&T!
You see one of my many duties is time and attendance, and it is the duty that makes my skin crawl. Because to put it bluntly, I am the time police or as my boyfriend calls me "time narc". I am the person that has to look in the electronic time keeper and notate who's late, on time, taking PTO, sick time, bereavement time, OT....time, time, time! And it's not on my side.
But by far the worst part is at the end of the payperiod wherein I have to go over everysingle persons time card and make sure that everything is documented and added up before sending to payroll so that all God's children in my department get paid.
Well this past Monday was my first day to fly solo before sending it all off to my supervisor for final sign off. And I was having a lot of trouble with one of my coworkers time detail. Some how I was adding days to the week and nothing was saving correctly so in a fit of frustration I went to my supervisor to help me correct it, and she did in a flash. Except that I had forgotten to add in 6 1/2 hours of sick time and of course it wasn't caught until today at 4:26!
So that's it folks. One of my biggest nightmares about this job has now come true. I screwed up someone's paycheck!
As soon as I realized what I had done I immediately went to my supervisor, told her what I did and asked her how to fix it. Then I went to my coworker and confessed my mess and told her that I would rectify the situation tomorrow. Which will happen first thing!
Now all I have to do is tell my manager, who will either be really understanding or rip me a new one. I can't quite get a read on how she will react to situations as yet. So we shall see.
On the knitting front, I haven't been in the mood. I treated myself to new sock yarn last Friday, but so far it's just sat on my coffee table. It's probably just this killer cold and new job anxiety. I don't know. I haven't been in much of a dancing mood either.
Oh well. On the bright side 2 episodes of Glee are coming on tonight!

No comments: