Sunday, November 1, 2009

Where have you been ?

I know that it's been awhile since I have blogged in. Funny how you start a project and then life decides to throw you a bit of a curve ball. A little something that I shall call "downtime". Unexpected, unhappy, un-financial downtime. And that's all I shall say about it. Because it is over.
And I am happy to say that I have come out of it all a bit humbler, a lot more grateful, a bit fatter and a whole lot smarter about my finances.
I have a new real job now, fulltime not temp, and so far so good. I started it 3 weeks ago and today marks my first day of being insured! Yes world for the first time in four years since I left big corporate insurance company to strike out on my own again as a self supporting artist, I have insurance.
The first order of business will be to get my eyes checked. I can't wait to get new glasses!
Also this week I signed up for my 403B. As I said before I have come out of this whole mess a whole lot wiser about my finances. In the past I have read and reread just about every book and article about how to manage your money. I have even set up Roth IRA's and opened CD's that I have cashed in and used for various emergencies. A couple of them I could have put off, but this summer saw the last of my emergency money, and then I was broke.
So I decided that before I received my second paycheck, I would immediately think in terms of retirement and savings. That way before I even think about buying new and fabulous yarns and planning a much needed vacay, and of course finally finishing paying off all of my credit card bills, I would have money taken out pretax for the future.
See I told you I learned something.
So now that I am back, it's back to knitting and tap dancing. And of course losing the 20 or so pounds of stress weight that I gained during this whole ordeal. I shall write more about that later.

No comments: